INTERNATIONAL DAY OF THE GIRL: THE PROTECTIVE BETRAYAL

international day of the girl
photo credit: google images
The jarring sound of my annoying ringtone woke me up from my beautiful sleep, so I stretched out my hands across my bed in search of my phone wondering to myself who could that be, calling me in the dead of the night. Grng grng pick up the phone pick up the phone!! “God how annoying, I’m definitely going to change that ringtone” I said to myself swinging my legs to the other side of my bed, stepping lightly on the carpet by my bedside.

Click, I turned on the light switch close to my bedside to properly search for my phone. Without checking to see who was calling, I answered the phone “hello, who is this” I said in a throaty voice
“Ada, Ada it’s me Anna” the frantic note in my friend’s voice cleared the sleep from my eyes. “Anna, Anna what is it, what’s wrong, is everything ok, please tell me everything is ok” I say to her, wondering what could have happened to Anna for her to call me by 2:30am.
Before I knew what was happening Anna busted into tears “I’m dropping out of school Ada, my parents demanded that I get married to a man older than my father” she said sounding incoherent. “What?” I said unable to believe that Anna’s parent could do something like that. “Ada, I’m pregnant” Anna said in a quiet voice

I was left speechless from shock and my legs couldn’t hold me up anymore so I fell to the floor, I couldn’t fathom what was happening, I kept on telling myself that it wasn’t happening, Ada this is just a nightmare. In all my sixteen years on earth, I never imagined something as terrible as this happening to any of my friends. What Anna had just told me was equivalent to asking my 16 year old friend Anna to take a bullet to the head.

Anna and I went to St. Jude Secondary School Lokoja Kogi state, we’ve been friends for over 6years. She graduated as the best student in our class and we both applied to study medicine at the University of Nigeria Nsukka. Anna got accepted but unfortunately I didn’t. As the first daughter of her family, her parents wanted her to learn tailoring so that she could contribute to her older brother’s schooling. Luckily for her, she got a full scholarship from SHELL. So yes things were looking rosy for her.

“Hello, hello Ada are you there” Anna asked in a shaky voice “yes I’m here, Anna what are you going to do, defer your admission so that you can retain your scholarship?” I asked a bit confused on how to advise her.

“I can’t Ada, he doesn’t want me to continue schooling” she replied “he even has a wife and four girls already. He told me he wanted a son and when I give him one, he would open up a shop for me. He said he didn’t want a wife who would be feeling big because she went to a big university to study medicine, all he wanted was a submissive wife who would take care of his house, his children and himself” she said crying uncontrollably.

“Who is he?” I asked “he is Chief Mazi, the special adviser to the governor on business matter, he helped my father secure a land in felele and this was my father’s way of saying thank you, can you imagine” she replied with a humorless chuckle

betrayal by her father
photo credit: Flickr
“Why didn’t you tell your parents No, why didn’t you speak to your father about your feelings or even talk to the priest about it or ….” 
“Because no one would listen” she replied cutting me short “because I told my father and all I got was a beating for my trouble” she angrily said “What! Your father beat you because you didn’t want to get married to a man older than him?” I asked unable to comprehend her father’s action.

“Yes, he did!” she screamed “I’m at my wits end and I don’t know what to do, my dreams have been dashed away and tossed aside like a piece of garbage” she said crying profusely
“What of your mum, can’t you ask her for help or advice” I asked. Giving a humorless laugh she replied “my mum, my mum, I thought she’d understand, I thought I’d find comfort from her, I was sold by my mother. Ada my mother sold me” she said in heart wrenching sob. “Sold you, How? I don’t understand” I said

“she took me to his house and told me to accept my lot in life as a girl and I would come to one day thank them for what they were doing, saying to me every girl ended up in the kitchen in spite of the level of education she has. That night, he raped me with a glee on his face, I can’t call it rape because I lost my will, I lost my voice, I lost my dream and I lost my dignity because I’m a girl, no one will stand up for me or speak up for me, not my church, not my mother, not my brother, not my relative and definitely not society because according to them a girl does not have an opinion and she definitely doesn’t have a voice” she said sounding hysterical.

“Anna, Anna why are you sounding this way, all is not lost, Anna wait, Anna don’t do something you’d regrets” I said shouting as the line goes dead
because i am a girl
photo credit: Flickr
The above story is an excerpt from a real life event. To this day the shock of what she had told me still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth and it created an awareness for me, which is that, we still leave in a society that stereotypes the way a female child is raised or seen, a female child is still viewed as inferior to the male, at school a female child is not given equal opportunity as the male child and if she happens to be brilliant, it was seen as a waste and the next thing you’d hear is “if only she was a boy, she’d have gone on to have better opportunities in politics” it’s even worse when you are young and happen to be leading men older than you, you’d be viewed as an ashawo who slept with the boss to get there even though your work speaks for you.

I don’t want to castigate or judge women or girls for the decision they have made, I don’t have all the answers as I am still in search of it myself. But I do know that until we (girls) start standing up for our self, no one will. I might give all the solutions to the problem but until you seize opportunities and make decisions for yourself the equality we are all fighting for would continue to remain a word.

October 11th marks the international day of the girl. The story of my friend is a pathetic one and it’s sadly still happening even to this very day. The violence against the female child is real, a society that blames a female child for being raped or abused emotional, a society that condones this, such a society is one that is truly going down the rubbish bin. I’m a feminist and I fight for gender equality and right of a girl child. Let’s leave a world for our children, where our boys would be treated equally and given an opportunity to contribute positively to the growth of our country in spite of being young and for our girls a world where they would be appreciated and respected for their opinions and will to succeed.


Don’t forget to like my page on facebook, comment, share and follow my blog.
Share on Google Plus

About Isiba Legal

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

3 comments:

  1. Make sense!
    But though I like the view of Chief Mazi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting piece. I pray the world become a better place for us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope so as well and hopefully we'll achieve it

      Delete